Monday, March 14, 2005

Socrates, Aristotle and Plato

I met up with my stepbro in the City of Brotherly Love around the holidays season. Philadelphia is one interesting place; it is so much different from the Big Apple and Boston. So we began our little pubcrawling there and pretty much drank throughout the day (By the way, we left our car keys home!). One of the places that we marked our trail is Monk's Cafe. There is where I first sampled the infamous Three Philosophers from Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, NY. This 9.8% alcohol big beer is truly a knock-out. All day long my stepbro is drinking Quadrupels and other Trippels... The guy is one hardcore son of a gun. Without further interuption, here is my modest review of this brown beauty.


Nice!

Appearance - It has a wonderful cloudy amber colored pour forming a medium tan head. There was a decent amount of carbonation. Nice lacing was seen throughout.

Smell - A very solid aroma consisting of malt, yeast and kriek (cherry) notes. But immediately by a strong kick alcohol.

Taste - Well balanced of sweet and malty flavor that turned towards a chocolatey finished. The taste lingers a bit but is welcome. The alcohol is present but blends in pretty well.

Mouthfeel - Wonderful settled with a smooth feel. The carbonation help maintain the smoothness. This had a medium-full body.

Drinkability - This is one of the best I had so far. I have heard people complaining about this brewery but so far I am happy customer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home