Friday, March 04, 2005

Kronenbourg 1664

Took a trip to LIC and check out this French bistro with a pal. The menu looks quite simple; nothing fancy or pretentious. Just straight forward bistro items such as Steak Frites and Escargot kinda stuffs. As always, I normally judge the restaurant by it's restroom (washroom, if you're Canadian..eh)and the beverage list. Now, this is a small neighborhood bistro and not a four stars restaurant with a sommelier. The wine list and soda list look very impressive but the beer list is beyond pathetic! The fact is, there no listing beer!! The skeptical expression of my face has drawn the attention of our pregnant hostess. She carefullly walked toward my direction and I asked her the "beer list" s'il vous plaît. She mumbled en francais and I sort of picked up the word "Saison". Yes, Saison is what I am in the mood for (By the way, the Saison she mentioned is the only selection of beer they have). When she came back with the beer, the green bottle just told me that is no Saison. I didn't want to send it back and jeopardize the extra flavor of our orders. So, I sucked it in and prayed that the food is what we came for. The food is really mediocre...but I don't have a reason to complain considering the price that we are paying. Okay, back to the beer review...

Three words "Budddd...Weiz...Er..." The Kronenbourg 1664 that I mistakenly ordered is drinkable but I won't pay for it....again.


Kronenbourg 1664

Appearance – Light piss yellow in color with a decent looking head that showed some good retention and left some awesome average lager lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – I am not sure whether it is water in France or this bottle has been vintaged. There’s some light hopping that tries to mask its tracks but there’s no hiding this mild skunky odor.

Taste – It tastes a bit better than it smells but it still tastes like "Buddd..Weiz...Er.

Mouthfeel – This lager is actually quite smooth in the mouth and pushing to be drying at the finish.

Drinkability – The only reason I didn’t send this beer back is because I worried the quality of our orders.

Enuff sez....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home