Friday, March 04, 2005

Buckwheat Ale Project

I totally screwed up right from the start. How can I over soaked the buckwheat groats??? Not only the groats didn't sprout, it turned sour and f*cking stinked up my whole kitchen. I was supposed to soak it for 6 hrs, rinse then let dry for 3 hrs and repeat the process 3x's. It should have 27 hours process! My attempt is not to brew a gluten-free beer and save all those poor souls who cannot digest gluten but to experiment buckwheat as an adjunct.

FYI, I plagurized the following info from a Celiac Disease Support Group website to broaden your horizon:

Celiac disease, also known as gluten intolerance, is a genetic disorder that affects 1 in 1331 Americans. Symptoms of celiac disease can range from the classic features, such as diarrhea, weight loss, and malnutrition, to latent symptoms such as isolated nutrient deficiencies but no gastrointestinal symptoms.


Buckwheat

The 2 commercial buckwheat brews that I have heard of are both from Rogue Ales-Morimoto Black Obi Soba and Morimoto Soba. Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto took part of the project and the gave name Soba(Buckwheat Noodle), go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home