Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Awamori, the Next Big Thing

Before heading out to Playa del Carmen, I just want to mention my recent new found love-Awamori 泡盛. What the heck is Awamori? Awamori is an alcoholic beverage indigenous to and unique to Okinawa, Japan. It is distilled from rice, not brewed. It is similar to shochu (a distilled alcoholic beverage from mainland Japan), but made from Indica instead of Japonica rice. Indica is a type of rice from Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia. When it is age for more than 3 years it is then called Kusu or old liquor.

So, which Awamori's are worthy to destroy your liver??? In my humble opinion, I am now a fan of Zuisen. Ryukyu Ocho is not so bad either and Mizuho is pretty drinkable. Each has their own uniqueness Ryukyu tastes a bit earthy and Zuisen is the smoother one. And as for Mizuho, I smelled Cream of Wheats (must be nice to have something like this in the winter).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home